What will I blog?

What will I blog? Anything. Literally. I'll range from book reviews to rants to life obstacles to random thoughts and to just sophisticated nerdiness. (Woo hoo for nerds!) I love my literature, science, sociology, and so on and so forth. So be prepared! Don't say I didn't warn you.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Shopping Spree?

Expensive. 

That was my first thought after buying my ingredients for a couple recipes I tried out. WAY to epensive for my taste, but if you think about it, it makes sense. You have to start somewhere while building a pantry. For example, I could spend 10 bucks on beef OR I could spend 10 bucks on raw cashews from which I can make milk, cream, or butter. I guess it evens out when I think more about it. 

Yesterday I tried to make Miriams famous cashew & leek quiche. 
 Not too bad looking, right?

Well, I had to read the recipe ahead of time because it called for 2 ingredients (from which I did not buy considering the price was a little high for my budget--and yes, I have a budget) that I had to make prior to making the quiche.  Seeing as this is a breakfast recipe and I didn't considering prepping the night before (because I never considered the fact that a recipe may take more than a few hours to make--silly newbie that I am), it ending up being breakfast for dinner sort of night. 
This was a real challenge for me to make and let me tell you why.
1) I had to make a vegan cream.    What? Yes, it was very simple actually. Let raw cashews soak for a couple hours in water, then grind them up with 1 1/2 C water and 2 tsp of agave. That's it.
2) I also make vegan milk at the same time since it was just the same thing as the cream, it just called for another 2 cups of water.
                         --I love mason jars.

3) Vegan Mozzorella.     WHAT?! I have to make that? I saw it in the local supermarket, but I stupidly didn't buy it. Daiya is a great vegan substitute for shredded cheese don't get me wrong. 


      

Well, mine ended up looking like this before I put it in the refriderator for a couple hours to set.

                           

Back to my quiche. Now the pastry was so simple, I literally thought Miriam was joking. 

Pastry

1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose four
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vegan margarine
Pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp of cold water.     

That's it. Flour, margarine, and water is all it takes.  

The Quiche part was a bit more, but nonetheless all fun to make. For starters, I had to buy a leek.  A Leek? Now, if you are anything like me and new to the veggie world, you would have no idea what to even look for in the store. Well, let me help you out.


                     This is a leek.
                        A look a like green onion jacked up on steroids. 

I have never in my WHOLE entire life ever been so dumbfounded in a grocery store. That's a leek?! I seriously couldn't get over how huge it was and the question of "Now what?". How was I to cook, cut, or clean this thing properly. 

Thank God for the Internet, or specifically Youtube. I'm a visual person so Youtube is my go to place.

This recipe really taught me to be creative on the spot.     For instance, I don't have a vegetable steamer like the recipe calls for to use. So I improvised like a pro.   I used a pot of boiling water, placed a pizza pan on top--you know, the one with the holes in it-- and set the leek strips on top of the pizza pan and put a crock-pot lid on it. BOOM! Problem solved, and you know what?     It worked.    

                             Before Oven  



                                                   Ater

                

                                                                First major recipe. Complete.

                                           Not too shabby.

















No comments:

Post a Comment